Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Fan or Follower? (I stole that from Dr. Lewis...)

At FBCPC, we have been talking alot lately about whether or not we are just a fan of Jesus or truly a follower. In my Bible reading last night, I came across a passage in Joshua 14 about Caleb. He was one of the two spies (Joshua was the other) who wanted to take possession of the Promised Land when all the others were too afraid. In v 8, Caleb says about himself that even though the hearts of all the others "melted in fear" that he "followed the Lord my God wholeheartedly." He goes on to say that he was blessed by Moses because he "followed the Lord my God wholeheartedly." v 13 & 14 "Then Joshua blessed Caleb son of Jephunneh and gave him Hebron as his inheritance. So Hebron has belonged to Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kennizzite ever since, BECAUSE HE FOLLOWED THE LORD, THE GOD OF ISRAEL, WHOLEHEARTEDLY."  Are we seeing a theme here?

We have a sweet couple in our church who are sold out for Jesus...literally. They are selling almost everything they have and are going to Papua New Guinea (that's the jungle, folks) with Wycliffe Bible Translators. A week ago, they gave a presentation to the church during House of Prayer. Afterward, I hugged Cheryl and said, "Sometimes I think I'd like to sell everything and go somewhere." (Don't ever say things like that out loud). This past week she walked up to me at SS evangelism and said with a sweet smile, "They need nurses." Alrighty, then....

I recounted the conversations to my husband and he said, "Would you really go that far away from your grandkids for that long?" Well....would I? (Place pregnant pause here) I don't know...(Sorry, its the best I can do)

I don't know, because right now it does not seem that I have been called to PNG or anywhere else that requires selling it all. Most days it seems like I have enough of a mission field coming in and out of my back door to justify staying here. But if I want to follow the Lord wholeheartedly, it should be something I am willing to do when He calls me.

These things I do know:
  • I need to focus on His promises. The land was filled with giants. Huge obstacles may stand in my way, but if God has called me He will remove them. Caleb and Joshua remembered what the others forgot. The land was called Promised for a reason - God promised it to them. All they had to do was go in and take it. The others focused on the obstacles but Caleb focused on the promise of God.
  • I need to have faith in spite of fear. When the others saw the giants their hearts melted with fear. I don't remember anywhere that it says Caleb and Joshua never experienced fear, but they were willing to trust God in spite of their fears. Whatever God calls me to do, I may have fear, but as long as I move forward in faith, I will see the blessing of God.
When Mike Storter spoke last Sunday in regards to his battle with leukemia, he pointed at his weakened body and said, "In light of someone else's eternity, what is this?" I dare not even put myself in that category.... Could I leave my kids and grankids (my cat...) if it meant influencing someone elses eternity? Not in my own strength...

Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Here's hoping He's calling me to stay put and minister from right here or maybe do some short term mission trips. But if He calls me to move, will I go? I'm pretty sure I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment