Skip to main content

Kitten Prayers

It is hard for me to pray. For whatever reason I just don't feel I have ever been very good at it. I'm not really sure what " good at it" is supposed to be or if there really is a formula, but it just doesn't come naturally to me. I have heard the sermons, done the journaling series, read books, and on and on.

Over the years, I have come to journal my prayers more than just saying them. Writing is a more natural activity to me than conversing. I know some of you who know me find that difficult to believe, but there it is. I buy a pretty book and really awesome pens (simple things amuse me) and it is so much more enjoyable to sit and write.

And now here's the rub (literally): I have a cat. If you have ever owned a cat, you understand the dilemma. As soon as I sit down with my Bible and a pen or my iPad, she is on top of me. She absolutely adores pens. She chases them, bats at them, chews them, and if it is the one I am trying to write with all the better.

If she isn't playing with my pen, she is trying to insert herself between me and whatever I'm working on. Reading my Bible - she's on top of it. Writing in a journal - she is after the pen. Working on my iPad - she is on my lap between my fingers and the screen. Or maybe she is just rubbing against me somewhere, loving me, wanting to be with me.

First instinct is to shove her away so I can continue what I am doing. More often than not, we compromise with her on the arm of the chair or behind my head. Sometimes, I just have to stop and be with her. Hmmmmm.

How like my relationship with God some days. Sometimes, I would rather just push Him aside and get on with my agenda. Could this be having an adverse effect on our ability to communicate? Other days, I compromise. I let God sit close by along as He doesn't interrupt MY journaling or Bible study....or tv....or reading...or....

But what if just put it all down and would just BE with Him. Allowing Him to love me, purring in the lap of His love? What if I just nestled up to Him and loved on Him? Surely our communication would improve...kitty prayers...

Hmmmmm....




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r...

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise...

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer! ...