Skip to main content

Living Large

Yesterday was a hot tea and movie kind of day for me. Home alone, just me and the TV...
 
One of the movies I watched was "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel". The very abbreviated story line here is there are a group of British retirees who can't afford to live in England so they end up retiring to this "hotel" for the elderly in India. Of course, when they arrive it was not what they expected. Although, I disagreed with the way most of the adult issues were handled in the  movie, it was very interesting to me to watch how the characters either embraced or rejected the very different culture they found themselves immersed in and how they dealt with their prejudices and stereotypes.
 
The one line of the movie that leapt out at me was in a scene near the end when the young Indian man who manages the hotel is trying to convince his mother why he should not sell the hotel and give up the love of his life for an arranged marriage and a better job in Delhi. She tells him his life would be better if he would just do what she wants him to. He replies to her, "Not better, smaller."
 
It seems over the last few months there has been a recurring theme to my Bible study, quiet times, etc. Ever had that happen? Where it seems like no matter where you turn, you are getting the same message? Every teacher you listen to...everything you read say the same thing? In my experience, that is when you need to listen.
 
The theme that has come up over and over for me lately, has been "supernatural living". Beth Moore in the simulcast...my Nehemiah study...my Daniel study...on the radio...Dr. Lewis just this morning. All talking about supernatural living. Living large.
 
What in the world does it mean? I claim to be no expert because I'm not sure I have really lived there for much of my life. I KNOW that it means living by faith. But honestly, that sounds trite almost. It shouldn't - but it just has such a churchy sound to it. I say that I live by faith. I say that I believe God will take care of me. But does my life demonstrate that I am living by faith...expecting a miracle...living large, or does it reflect that I am moving along in my own strength doing the things that I could do on my own, anyway?
 
Ever have one of those Bible verses that you have heard all your life to the point that you say it without even thinking about it much less what it means? How about this one: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13
 
Lets say it again. "I can do ALL THINGS through CHRIST who STRENGTHENS me."
Again. "I CAN DO all things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens ME."
 
I can, I really can! Not in my strength but in His! Living in faith! "Nothing is impossible with God!"
 
I am not there. Right now, I am not living the large life. I am living the safe life. I want to live the supernatural life that God has for me, but I am not there.
 
So I ask myself:
What do I need to do - surrender - change to get there?
What goals do I need to set higher? Too high? God high?
Where has he been leading me that I have been digging in my heels? Hmmmm?
 
I don't have answers, yet. I see glimpses - feel nudges - but not the whole picture. I know I need to get moving...like Abraham who set out without knowing where he was going. I need to keep pursuing God for direction and be willing to be obedient when He gives it. It is a work in progress, but God who has begun a good work in me, will be faithful to complete it.
 
There is a quote frequently attributed to Voltaire that says, "Good is the enemy of the best." In the movie, Sonny's mother wanted good for him, but what he wanted was something larger. I do not want to settle for a good life, if God has a larger life out there for me.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r...

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise...

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer! ...