Skip to main content

God With Us

Matthew 1: 22-23 "All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel - which means God with us.'"

Jesus came to earth so that God could be with us. Let's just stop and meditate on that for a moment.

Why on earth - or in heaven as the case may be - would God want to be with us so badly that He would send His Son from the glory of heaven to live down here like a mere mortal human? If you really just stop and think on it for a few minutes, instead of becoming clearer, it only becomes more astounding and mind boggling. Why indeed?

Not only is He with us but He is REALLY with us. I mean, I "dwell with" my husband, but I am not always in his presence. He doesn't always know exactly what I am doing nor I him. He definitely does not always know what I am thinking.... Psalm 139 gives us an idea of just how "with us" God is:
"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there  your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."  vv. 7-12
God is everywhere we are and go and He wants to be there with us. I so don't get that. Sometimes, I don't even want to be with me where I am - why would God want to be there? I think the answers lie in the verses above...so that His hand can guide us and hold us fast....so that we have a light in the darkness.

How does it make me feel that God is with me always? Maybe a little uneasy at times, but whose fault is that? That is just me wanting to hide in the darkness. Mostly, it is comforting to know that He is there in the form of His Spirit. He will give me that guiding nudge when I am about to say or do the wrong thing. He will give me that sense of peace in a situation where I should be afraid. And most of all, He will just love me wherever I am - even in the darkness.

Is God truly with you? How does that make you feel? Think you are far from His presence? You aren't. You just need to ask Him to take down the barriers - the sin in your life that is blocking the way. Do you know that you have never had Him with you? He wants to be with you! Tell Him you are sorry for your sin, ask Him to forgive you and come to be a part of your life. That is a prayer He always answers! Then He will be with you, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Inspired by Obedience

And He said to all, "If any would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:20 - 21 I have only known in my life one person that truly personified those verses. In 2009, one of our youngest, most energetic ministers was taken to the hospital emergency room with chest pain. He was healthy and athletic. He taught PE at our local high school. This trip to the hospital began a journey that would last the next three years and affect more lives than anyone could have ever anticipated. Mike Storter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. Mike immediately began treatments for his disease and for a short period during these years was considered cancer-free. It was a