Skip to main content

Come To Jesus

It's not often I can say my days have a theme to them, but today was one of those days. The word for today was 'COME'.

I went to a new (for me) Bible study this morning and the lessons were titled "Come". The first scripture was Mark 10:13-16: "And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw it, He was indignant and said to them, 'Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdoms of God like a child shall not enter it.' And he took them in His arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them." (ESV)

Jesus wants us to come to Him as children, but How do children come?

I am a mom and a Nana of nine and I have spent much time on this earth raising and caring for children. Yes, children come to you with innocence and trust. But the times I always loved was when I walked in a room and one of our little ones would come running with arms up, lopsided grin on their face, and jump in to my arms screaming either 'Mommy' or 'Nana'. The excitement they felt just to be with me made my heart sing.

But here's another thing about children. They don't care what they look like when they come running to jump in your arms. They may be covered in mud or food...or nana's makeup. Let's face it, they may have poopy pants. They don't always smell great or look great, but THEY don't care. Why? Because they know I love and accept them dirt, food, poop, and all.

Guess what? That's exactly how Jesus loves us. Why, oh why, do we think we have to clean ourselves up to come to Him? Because honestly, we can't. Just like a toddler can't effectively bathe or change their own diaper, we can't clean ourselves up without Him, so we may as well just come as we are bringing all our dirt with us.

We sing the Travis Cottrell version of "Just As I Am" at my church that has the following chorus:

"I come broken to be mended, I come wounded to be healed.
I come desp'rate to be rescued, I come empty to be filled.
I come guilty to be pardoned by the blood of Christ the Lamb.
And I'm welcomed with open arms, praise God, just as I am."

I welcome those babies into my arms just as they are. I come to God broken, wounded, desperate, empty, dirty, but I can put on my lopsided grin and run with abandon because no matter how stinky I am He is waiting with open arms to scoop me up and tell me He loves me.

Come to Jesus. It's not hard. You can come just like you are. He's waiting for you with open arms.

Click Here to enjoy the song.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Inspired by Obedience

And He said to all, "If any would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:20 - 21 I have only known in my life one person that truly personified those verses. In 2009, one of our youngest, most energetic ministers was taken to the hospital emergency room with chest pain. He was healthy and athletic. He taught PE at our local high school. This trip to the hospital began a journey that would last the next three years and affect more lives than anyone could have ever anticipated. Mike Storter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. Mike immediately began treatments for his disease and for a short period during these years was considered cancer-free. It was a

Mono Diaries Lesson 1: Be Careful What You Pray For

I haven’t written in a long time and decided I would make the most of my time of confinement. The first quarter of two thousand eighteen has been a difficult and stressful one for my husband and I.  Dealing with issues related to aging parents has put a strain on us that we could not have anticipated. Wanting to do what is best for them, still do what is best for us, dealing with dementia, hospitalizations, nursing homes has been enough to create a level of stress that has taken a toll. On a particular week when we had been running back and forth to facilities, doctor appointments, and just trying to keep up with day to day responsibilities, I remember venting to the Lord in my quiet time and praying what I have come to see as a fateful prayer. I remember, probably a little resentfully, telling God that I wished I could have a day to just do nothing and read a book..... As of today, I have had FIFTEEN days to do nothing and read books. As a matter of fact, it is being encour