Skip to main content

WHAT I LEARNED ON THE ZIPLINE

Several years ago, Larry and I had the chance to cross off one of our bucket list trips when we went to Alaska. We were not disappointed. It is a spectacularly beautiful place and we were able to see things we may never have the opportunity to see again. In addition, we did it all with great friends and some incredible memories were made.

Now, I feel like I am a moderately adventurous person and I love to try new things. BUT.... I am afraid of heights. Or maybe a better way to say it might be I am afraid of falling. So when the entire group decided to go zip lining, I was terrified. On the other hand, I  didn't want to be the only one in the group wouldn't do it - the party pooper, if you will - so I agreed to go.

The day came and we got all geared up. The practice runs were nothing. We got to the first big line and I was nervous, but it was a nice, tight line and seemed pretty stable. I took off. Flying through the trees was wonderful. I thought, "I CAN DO THIS!"

Does the look on my face say it all?
Then we came to a station on a TALL tree. The platform we had to zip to was much lower and the cable between the two was not taut. It came to be my turn. I walked to the edge of the platform and stood there....and stood there....and stood there. Fear is paralyzing and I could not move. The guide who was on the platform with us (a sweet, young girl whose name I wish I could remember) stepped next to me. She didn't give me a hard time about being afraid or tell me to "just jump". She quietly and calmly gave me facts about the cables and their ability to hold me. She encouraged me by letting me know others had gone ahead of me and I could trust the cables to get me to the next destination.

Finally, I summoned whatever little bit of courage I had, closed my eyes, and stepped off the platform. I can't say I enjoyed that particular segment, but I made it safely to the other side.

The best part is what followed. It was the most breathtaking scenery of the trip that day. We zipped over rivers and a waterfall.

There was so much I would have missed if I had let my fear win.





Sometimes, we come to the edge of something and we don't like what we see. Sometimes, there is a segment of the journey we don't like and we decide we want to opt out. We want God to build us a bridge or just pick us up and put us on the other side. But most of the time, it doesn't work that way.

So what did I learn?

We need encouragers (and we need to be encouragers). 

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called "Today", so that none of you may be hardened by sins deceitfulness."  ~ Hebrews 3:13

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:11

We need someone to quietly come alongside and stand with us in distressing times. Be that person.

The more we know, the more we can trust.

This isn't just knowing scripture (although that's a start). It is knowing GOD. The more we know Him, the more we know He will get us through our struggle.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." ~ Isaiah 41:10

Sometimes, you just have to close your eyes and take that first step.

The only way to get where you are going is to step out in faith and go.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight." ~ 2 Corinthians 5:7

There is a reward on the other side.

I would have missed so much that day if I hadn't taken that first step - but I didn't know it at the time. When we come to scary places in our lives, we can move forward knowing God has great things on the other side.

" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.' " ~ Jeremiah 29:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer!