Skip to main content

Who Is My Enemy?

Well, we are at it again. The social media wars are in full swing. Everybody is mad... or at least upset. The memes are flying both ways. Is this really the most productive way to handle a conflict?

In Luke 10:25-37, we find the story that has come to be known as the Good Samaritan. In the story, a man is beaten, stripped and robbed while traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho. He is left for dead alongside the road. Other than that, we know absolutely NOTHING about this man. (But that's a story for another day...) As he is laying there, not one but two religious leaders pass him by. Not only do they not help him, they cross the street to get away from him. 

We live in a nation of people who for one reason or another, have been beaten, stripped, and robbed of their faith in God. Other than that, for the most part we know little to nothing about them. We don't know how they have been hurt, how they were raised, who taught them what to believe. This is not a random act of violence on Christianity. This is a strategized attack by Satan to undermine any faith-based values we have left. People are hurting. They have been left for spiritual dead. We walk past them on a daily basis and do what? Walk on by? Cross the street? Stop and beat them up a little more? What are we doing for those who are "dead in their sins and trespasses" (Ephesians 2:1)? 

Awhile back I came to a realization. Putting up post after post on your opinion - changed nobody's mind ever. Honestly, sometimes I think it fuels the war. Even if you are right. Why? Because we are fighting the wrong enemy.

Ephesians 6:12 tells us that our struggle is not with flesh and blood but against rulers...authorities...powers of darkness...spiritual forces of evil. What do they care what I post on Facebook? I think they like the social media wars. It distracts people from the real issue which is we ALL need Jesus. 

How do we fight against spiritual darkness? Paul tells us further in Ephesians that we need to put on God's armor. Truth - peace - righteousness - faith - salvation - and above all, PRAYER. 

"praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak." ~ Ephesians 6:18-20

Not only are we to pray for the saints, in 1 Timothy Paul takes it further...


"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for ALL men, for kings and ALL who are in [b]authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior," ~ 1 Timothy 2:1-3.
Uh oh... that means I have to pray for people who are different from me - in faith, color, gender issues, sexuality issues, political opinion, opinions on morality, and the list goes on. AND I have to pray for those in authority... possibly a governor that makes what we find to be a heinous decision and, yet, under it all, the image of God is lurking down there somewhere. 
Is there room for moral outrage? Sure. But let's channel it where it needs to go. I don't remember ever reading in the Bible where Jesus called out a sinner for acting like a sinner.  Instead, He tried to show them there was a better way. The ones He called out were the ones who should know better.
So what to do?
1. PRAY. 
14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. ~ 2 Chronicles 7:14
I read a post today that said, "Prayer is not enough." The person who wrote those words, doesn't know my God. 
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. ~ Ephesians 3:20-21
2. THINK before you post.
T - Is it truthful?
H - Is it helpful?
I - Is it inspiring?
N - Is it necessary? 
K - Is it kind?
If what you are wanting to post doesn't meet ALL that criteria, let it go. Share your faith, but do it positively and from a loving and inspirational perspective. Share things to build others up, not tear them down.
3. Take CARE of the wounded.
"He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds." ~ Psalm 147:3
Let's love on some hurting people - even if they don't know they are hurting. Let's be the beautiful feet bringing good news and peace. (Isaiah 52:7; Ephesians 6:15) and let's do it in a way that makes it attractive. We don't have to compromise what we believe or back down on our values. But let's don't beat people up with them, let's show them. Show them they have value. Show them God loves them. Show them by valuing them and loving them and praying for them even if we don't agree with them... at all ... in the slightest...
Will you commit with me to pray for ALL people and to show them some love?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer!