Skip to main content

God's Hands

Isaiah 49: 6  "See I have engraved you on the palms of My hands; your walls are ever before Me."


I have been a nurse now for almost 30 years. One thing I know - nurses are nothing if not resourceful. Anyone who has been in the nursing profession for any length of time has, at one time or another written themselves a note on their hand. It may be a patient's vital signs, a note from a doctor to transcribe later, or just a reminder of something that needs to be done. Whatever it is, it is there so that something will be remembered. Sooner or later, the task will be completed and the note will be scrubbed off. Out of sight - Out of mind.

God, on the other hand (no pun intended), has not only written my name on His hand - He has ENGRAVED it there. He has chiseled Himself a constant, permanent reminder of ME into one of the tenderest parts of the body - the palm of the hand.

Questions Arise:
  • How big must God's hands be that they hold the names of all of those He loves?
  • How big must God's heart be that He wants to remember us so badly that He has cut our names into His hands?
  • I wonder if those reminders are oddly in the shape of a nail scar?
God has made Himself a reminder that will never wash off. I am never out of His sight or out of His mind.

"Lord, I don't know if every individual's name is on your hands or if the nail scars serve as a reminder for all. Either way, it is unfathomable to me that You love me so much that You want to think of me always. It is so out of the reach of my understanding to even know how You think of every person at the same time! You are so much bigger than we can conceive and yet You love each individual and want to know us intimately. You are truly an amazing God!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Mono Diaries Lesson 1: Be Careful What You Pray For

I haven’t written in a long time and decided I would make the most of my time of confinement. The first quarter of two thousand eighteen has been a difficult and stressful one for my husband and I.  Dealing with issues related to aging parents has put a strain on us that we could not have anticipated. Wanting to do what is best for them, still do what is best for us, dealing with dementia, hospitalizations, nursing homes has been enough to create a level of stress that has taken a toll. On a particular week when we had been running back and forth to facilities, doctor appointments, and just trying to keep up with day to day responsibilities, I remember venting to the Lord in my quiet time and praying what I have come to see as a fateful prayer. I remember, probably a little resentfully, telling God that I wished I could have a day to just do nothing and read a book..... As of today, I have had FIFTEEN days to do nothing and read books. As a matter of fact, it is being encour

Inspired by Obedience

And He said to all, "If any would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:20 - 21 I have only known in my life one person that truly personified those verses. In 2009, one of our youngest, most energetic ministers was taken to the hospital emergency room with chest pain. He was healthy and athletic. He taught PE at our local high school. This trip to the hospital began a journey that would last the next three years and affect more lives than anyone could have ever anticipated. Mike Storter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. Mike immediately began treatments for his disease and for a short period during these years was considered cancer-free. It was a