Skip to main content

To Tell the Truth

Psalm 25:4-5 "Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me You paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in You all day long."

     How do we know the truth? All day long we are bombarded with billboards, commercials, TV shows, magazine ads, political statements, etc. and they all want us to believe that they have the truth.
  • Ford would like you to believe that they have a better idea....than what?
  • Loreal wants you to believe that you should use their cosmetics because you're worth it...a box of haircolor from the drugstore is all I'm worth?
  • Kay Jewelers wants you to believe that every kiss begins with them...Really???
     So how DO we wade through all of the hype and get to the REAL truth? How about this one:
"If you hold to my teachings and you are really my disciples, THEN you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."  John 8:32
     The truth is...God had the best idea of all - He sent His Son to die on the cross for my sin and yours because we couldn't fix ourselves - that's what I'm worth. As for the kiss, well, how about we love God because He first loved us - that began with Him. When we live in that truth and measure all other "truth" against His Word, then we are set free.
     As Lily Tomlin used to say, "That's the truttttttthhhhhhh".

"Lord, As I am bombarded all day long by the world for its attention, help me to remember that my hope is in Your truth all day long. Help me always to measure every decision, though, or action against the truth of Your Word."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Mono Diaries Lesson 1: Be Careful What You Pray For

I haven’t written in a long time and decided I would make the most of my time of confinement. The first quarter of two thousand eighteen has been a difficult and stressful one for my husband and I.  Dealing with issues related to aging parents has put a strain on us that we could not have anticipated. Wanting to do what is best for them, still do what is best for us, dealing with dementia, hospitalizations, nursing homes has been enough to create a level of stress that has taken a toll. On a particular week when we had been running back and forth to facilities, doctor appointments, and just trying to keep up with day to day responsibilities, I remember venting to the Lord in my quiet time and praying what I have come to see as a fateful prayer. I remember, probably a little resentfully, telling God that I wished I could have a day to just do nothing and read a book..... As of today, I have had FIFTEEN days to do nothing and read books. As a matter of fact, it is being encour

Inspired by Obedience

And He said to all, "If any would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:20 - 21 I have only known in my life one person that truly personified those verses. In 2009, one of our youngest, most energetic ministers was taken to the hospital emergency room with chest pain. He was healthy and athletic. He taught PE at our local high school. This trip to the hospital began a journey that would last the next three years and affect more lives than anyone could have ever anticipated. Mike Storter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. Mike immediately began treatments for his disease and for a short period during these years was considered cancer-free. It was a