Skip to main content

Miracle in the Mundane

You sit in an office...staring at a computer...you feel like you are living "Groundhog Day" over and over and over... OR you are mindlessly watching the television night after night...barely comprehending what is passing before your eyes and into your ears... The monotony can be mind numbing and depressing.

Then, God gives you a window. It seems like such a little thing - this window - but it opens up a whole new world. A world where the sun breaks through the trees and warms your face. A world where cardinals flit through the tree branches, woodpeckers search every little crevice of the big oak tree for food, and the odd egret or crane may come strolling by. Butterflies are endless.
There are other visitors. The little stray tabby that always seems to have a belly full of kittens. The raccoons that have learned we feed the cats... 
Some days there are no visitors because the rain is relentless. Pounding the glass. Thunder and lightening right on the other side ... of this window.


How easy it is to get caught up in the computer screen and miss what happens just inches from my desk. How easy to get caught up in the drama that happens around me at work. How easy to forget to look and see. Why? Because I see it every day. Because it has become familiar. Because I take it for granted. This window.

How often we treat God the same way. So sure He's there, yet, never taking the time to look and listen. He shows His glory every day. In the nature outside my window. In His Word. In the gentle way He seeks to calm me with His still small voice. How easy to get caught up in the computer screen and miss the fact that He is right there with me all the time. How easy to get caught up in the drama that happens around me and forget that He is in control of every situation. How easy to just forget to stop, and look, and listen for Him. Why? Because His Word has become familiar. Because He is there all the time. Because I take Him for granted.

But He makes me a promise. If I seek Him, I will find Him, if I seek Him with all my heart. (Jer. 29:13) 

To seek Him with my whole heart, I must start my day with Him and end it with Him. I must learn to still myself to hear His voice. I must learn that His glory is not always some radical event, but is in the birds, and the racoons, and the rainstorms. I must ask Him to reveal His Presence to me. Then, in the middle of the work day, I can pause and look out the window and see His creation. When I see the flicker of red in the trees, I can know that He has given me a gift. He is there. When the tension around me becomes overwhelming, I can stop and remember that He is the Prince of Peace. When I seek Him like this, I will find Him and that is the miracle in the mundane.


Comments

  1. He IS in the details....even the mundane ones. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Inspired by Obedience

And He said to all, "If any would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:20 - 21 I have only known in my life one person that truly personified those verses. In 2009, one of our youngest, most energetic ministers was taken to the hospital emergency room with chest pain. He was healthy and athletic. He taught PE at our local high school. This trip to the hospital began a journey that would last the next three years and affect more lives than anyone could have ever anticipated. Mike Storter was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. Mike immediately began treatments for his disease and for a short period during these years was considered cancer-free. It was a