Skip to main content

Mono Diaries Lesson 2: God Has Impeccable Timing

In my previous post, I mentioned that Larry and I have been dealing with aging parent problems. My mom in particular is suffering with dementia and I knew my dad could no longer take care of her alone in their home. Unfortunately, until they came to live with us, I did not realize just how much she had deteriorated. After an illness, surgery, and two hospitalizations, I came to realize I could not bring her home again. So she went to rehab, my dad stayed with us, and we began the search for an appropriate assisted living.

After looking at options and talking with my dad, we found a place we felt was perfect for them, got them at the top of the waiting list and began to pray for an opening. In the meantime, we were shuttling my dad back and forth to the rehab every day and at each visit my mom would beg us to bring her home. I know his heart was breaking.

After a couple of weeks of this, I began to feel tired. No big deal. We've been busy and stressed and we all just needed a day off. My dad was getting anxious to get my mom moved and settled. I called the ALF and no chance of an opening anytime soon. So on a whim, I called another facility close to our home. Yes, she had an opening for two and we could move them anytime.

By now, I had already begun to experience intermittent fevers but still thought I just had a minor bug and would be fine in a few days. We made arrangements to move my folks and got my dad moved in first with my mom following a few days later.

My illness worsened and my doctor was becoming concerned. He ordered a series of diagnostic tests and the verdict came back after several days that it looked like I had contracted mononucleosis. I probably wouldn't be feeling better any time soon.

Had we left things the way they were and had God not prompted me to call the second ALF and had they not had an opening, this is where we would be.... my mom would be taken care of at the nursing home, but Larry would be trying to manage home, meals, appointments, taking my dad back and forth, etc. Plus, my dad would have been exposed to the virus which he certainly did not need to be.

God did not answer my prayer for the opening at the place WE had selected. Instead, He found a place five minutes from our house, created an opening, and allowed us to get my mom and dad moved so that they could be cared for while I am recovering and Larry is having to play nurse.

Lesson #2: God's Timing is Impeccable.

He knows what we need when we need it. Better than we do because...

"...My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9

We need to...

"Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" Psalm 27:14

Because...

"Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted (I can sympathize right now); BUT they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

When things aren't going according to your schedule, just remember - there may be a better plan.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer!