Skip to main content

Mono Diaries Lesson 3: Get Some Rest

I can promise you this: If you ever get mono, you will hear or see the words “get some rest” 5,492 times a day. Well.... maybe not that much, but a lot.

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10. We see two sisters with vastly different personalities - and that’s okay. Jesus came to visit. The God of the Universe, the Messiah is sitting in the living room. Verse 40 is very telling regarding Martha’s state of mind. It starts off “but Martha”. Jesus is in the house teaching those who were present, but Martha.... she was distracted, anxious, troubled, tired. All of that emotion drove her to confront Jesus with the words, “don’t You care?”. Oh my, how many times have we all been there?

When my doctor called me to give me test results this week, he told me that 80-90% of the population carries the Epstein-Barr Virus that causes mono. Most of the time a healthy immune system is able to fight it off. But when we become over tired and stressed our immune system becomes weakened and next thing you know you are flat on your back.

God created us with a need for rest. He gave us that example at Creation. He did not need to rest, but He did. When He handed the law to Moses, He established a day of rest, not as an option but a command. (It isn’t anymore but that’s a whole other blog post). 

Another favorite story is when Elijah runs from Jezebel in 1 Kings 19:1-8. He has just had a great victory, God haas shown Himself mighty in defeating the prophets of Baal. But Elijah has to run for his life. He is tired, hungry and alone.  He sits down under a tree and prays to die. The next few verses are so amazing. God doesn’t come down and say “Elijah - look at all I have done. Get yourself together. Think about those amazing moments. Look on the bright side.” Nope. He sends an angel to bring him food and water. And he lets him get some rest. And once he has been taken care of, fed, and RESTED, he is able to rise and continue his ministry. We were made to rest.

All to often, we think rest is a waste of time. All we want to do is go..go..go, or we don’t feel like we are getting the most out of life. Or we think no one can do what we are doing. We become so bogged down in the day to day stresses and crises that we push ourselves to exhaustion. I believe that is a sin.
I wonder if God gave us a little built in mechanism whereby our bodies say, “Enough!” and we are going to rest whether we want to or not. 

Lesson #3: Get some rest.

Jesus said “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from Me (that’s what Mary was doing back in Luke 10), for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find REST for your souls.” Matthew 11:29

I have a friend who told me last week that mono was the best disease she ever had because when she got well she was rested and refreshed. Not sure I am there, yet, but I will be looking forward to getting a little more rest on a regular basis.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer!